Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Big Sister

Okay so anyone that actually knows me understands that after God the most important aspect of my life is my family.  Bearing that in mind the most significant role I have played in my family to date is mommy. While this role is the most rewarding and most challenging I have ever been faced with there is a role that I believe prepared me for motherhood that cannot be denied.  That is the role of "big sis."  Now to some it may not seem to matter much or to be super significant because let's face it I am one of two children and we're a set, meaning....I'm the girl so of course my sibling is....well you know. I digress, it is in this role of big sister that I have continually been challenged to mature and offer wise counsel even if it's not the counsel he wants to hear.  The scope of big sisterhood, for me, has extended beyond my natural brother to a series of "adopted/adapted" younger brothers and sisters I have met throughout the years.  I have found that in these relationships I bear the emblematic responsibility of "big sis."  It is almost as if I was bred for this after all my mom is the oldest of eight siblings and my dad the oldest of three all males.  So here I am the elder child of two eldest children...peculiar, I know! What I've experienced as a big sister, the late night heart to hearts, the I need to know someone cares and someone believes in me or believes me I wouldn't trade for anything. The I need to know how do I say this, I need a hug and all of the situations that demand the attention of a mom are tried out first, on the big sis. Recently, I have found myself once again in a position that must draw from my life experiences and the skills I've learned as a big sister.  I've learned how to be a rock for someone and to bear that persons infirmities while he/she is yet incapable of doing it alone. I've learned that sometime big sis cannot handle everything and that it's okay for her to make it clear.....I'm hear for you to support you in this way but I draw the line when it comes to ___________.  The title of this blog "Musings" was selected because I like to talk about what inspires creativity and thought in me and hopefully do the same for you.  The primary theme of my musings...motherhood and family, hence my title for this post: The Big Sister!  Just know that this Big Sister is here for you and will say what is within her to say with the "soul" purpose of edifying and empowering you. Peace and Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment